MOULD, CONDENSATION & MOULD FREE HOME
This booklet gives some basic information about the different types of dampness that may affect your home.
Condensation is probably the biggest cause of damp in homes. A lot of information and advice is included in this booklet to help tenants and home-owners identify and reduce condensation as well as treating the mould growth often associated with it.
There is a product that has been on the market for some time and it is used by many local authorities. I was told about this product by a landlord who tested in during the winter of 2012. He used it on one of the walls forming a corner which were both solid brick walls with no cavity. The whole corner was black with mould. He used the cleaner provided to remove the mould and he then painted one of the two joining walls with this product. The following spring he returned to inspect and found a clear line where he had used the product and there was no mould at all. One the joining wall where he had used normal emulsion after cleaning it the mould had returned as before. I spoke to the manufacturers and told them that landlords needed this product but that we would not all want to buy in bulk. They were happy to sell single tins and even offered me a discount code to pass on to other landlords to give us 20% discount by using the Code SOL20
The product looks very like emulsion and is applied in the same way. It comes in white or magnolia as standard and can be tinted to order to any colour. It is manufactured in Redditch, Worcestershire and can be collected from the manufacturer or delivered anywhere in the UK. The cost is similar to a good emulsion. Once used it must not be painted over because it is the surface that contains the product that stops mould growth and it is guaranteed to work for 20 years – not that we would not repaint a wall for 20 years but when we do it must be with the same product to continue to prevent mould growth.
The name of the product is Glixtone Fungi-Shield Anti-Mould & Blackspot Paint. It can be used on external and internal walls and ceilings and it is solvent free, silicone free and none-toxic
01527 599 470